Sunday, October 9, 2011

Movie: "Buried"

What we Bought: Buried (via Netflix)

What I Think
note: probably some spoilers... not huge ones.
Briefly, this movie is about a truck driver in Iraq who gets kidnapped and put up for ransom.  As the title suggests, he is buried.  We had heard good things about this movie: Its edgy, well made, and scary.  Really, only one of those things panned out; its fairly well made... especially given that they probably made it for about 10 grand.

Ryan Reynolds does a pretty good job of playing a guy in a box but for some reason I never really bought in.  I didn't get that claustrophobic feeling I got when Kiddo is buried in her coffin in Kill Bill.  The movie trades claustrophobia for impotence but on the screen impotence is less visceral.  I guess at the end of the day the box just wasn't small enough.

The movie also didn't give me enough info on the cell phone angle to be convinced that they couldn't find him.  Perhaps its my ignorance of the cloned cell phone world but I just can't see it being that hard to track him down. Hit your maps app to at least find where the cloned signal is coming from, right?

Still the story does work on a few different levels.  If you want to go the allegory route, having someone trapped in a box is a great way for setting up analogies to: The US in Iraq and Afganistan and/or the common working man in his life both of which could be extracted from this story.  For taht reason i like the movie, but i really can't recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment